- "THE TEMPLES AND THE TREES: HOW THE FATE OF ONE OF HUMANITY'S GREATEST TREASURES IS TIED TO THAT OF A MOUNTAIN FOREST," story and photos for the United Nations Development Programme, November 2017.
- "LONG JOURNEY TO PEACE: CAMBODIA SETS ITS SIGHTS ON FINALLY BEING FREE OF LANDMINES," story and photos for the United Nations Development Programme, October 2017. Also available in French and Spanish translation.
- "A VEGETABLE TO ROOT FOR," story and photos for the United Nations Development Programme, October 2017.
- "LOOKING FORWARD: UNDP IN FOCUS 2015/2016," the illustrated annual report of the United Nations Development Programme, the UN's anti-poverty agency. Microsite version also available. Published September 2016.
- "STORIES OF THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS." I edited the texts of photo essays written by other staff of the United Nations Development Programme. Following are two samples. "Before" is the original story and "After" is my revised version.
- "PEOPLE AND PLANET: FIFTY YEARS OF THE UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME," United Nations Development Programme, March 2016. I assembled photos and wrote captions and introductory text about the history of the UN's anti-poverty agency. It appeared online, and longer versions appeared in the form of a commemorative book and a photo exhibit, which I curated.
- "STORYTELLING AND SOCIAL CHANGE: A GUIDE FOR ACTIVISTS, ORGANIZATIONS, AND SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURS," second edition, Working Narratives, December 2015. The first edition of the guide was for grantmakers, and was published in August 2013.
- NONPROFIT STORYTELLING SERIES, Chronicle of Philanthropy digital edition, 2014 and 2015. A regular column in which I wrote about examples of outstanding social-change storytelling, and answered nonprofits' biggest questions about how to tell great stories.
- "RACIAL JUSTICE COMMUNICATIONS," Communications Network blog, November 13, 2014.
- "JACK BAUER CAN TEACH THE SOCIAL SECTOR ABOUT STORYTELLING," Communications Network blog, July 11, 2014.
- "A SKEPTICAL VIEW OF STORYTELLING FOR SOCIAL CHANGE," Chronicle of Philanthropy, July 1, 2014.
- "PUT YOURSELF IN A SEX WORKER'S SHOES," Communications Network blog, October 3, 2013.
- "IMAGINE THAT: HOW 'THE VISITOR' HELPS VIEWERS SEE THEIR WAY FROM OUTRAGE TO ACTION," (PDF) case study of the social action campaign for "The Visitor" film, Active Voice, August 2010.
- "COMMUNICATING FOR IMPACT: STRATEGIES FOR GRANTMAKERS," GrantCraft, June 2009. Co-author with Anne Mackinnon. This guide is also available in Chinese and Portuguese translation.
- "THE PRENUPS: WHAT FILMMAKERS AND FUNDERS SHOULD TALK ABOUT BEFORE TYING THE KNOT," Active Voice, June 2009.
- "GRANTS TO INDIVIDUALS: INVESTING IN PEOPLE AND THEIR COMMUNITIES," GrantCraft, April 2008. This guide is also available in Chinese and Arabic translation.
- "CALL TO ACTION: HOW PROGRAMS IN THREE CITIES RESPONDED TO THE PRISONER REENTRY CRISIS," Public/Private Ventures, March 2007.
- ADDITIONAL SAMPLES OF GRANT PROPSALS, REPORTS AND EVALUATIONS are available on request.
Arts and Culture Writing
- "GUARDED OPINIONS: MUSEUM GUARDS RESPOND TO THE ART THEY OVERSEE," an ongoing series for Esopus Magazine. Click for excerpts from installments from Spring 2018 (Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum), Spring 2017 (Brooklyn Museum), Spring 2016 (Barnes Collection, PA), Spring 2013 (New Orleans Museum of Art, LA), Fall 2011 (Mass MoCA, MA), Fall 2009 (New Museum, NY), Spring 2008 (Corcoran Gallery, DC), Spring 2007 (Hammer Museum, CA), Fall 2006 (Fogg Museum, MA).
- "OTHER THAN THAT, THE PLAY WAS A DELIGHTFUL ROMP, THANK YOU," Medium, April 2, 2015. "Mrs. Abraham Lincoln's long-lost review of Our American Cousin.
- "BEATLES OR BIEBER?" Studio 360, a production of WNYC Radio, February 14, 2014.
- "THE RESTLESS STORYTELLER: AN INTERVIEW WITH LAURA BOLAÑOS CADENA," Public Books, December 15, 2013.
- "THIS LOVELY, DELICATE, FRAGILE THING: AN ACTOR'S RECOLLECTION OF HOW THE GLASS MENAGERIE FIRST MADE ITS WAY TO BROADWAY," American Theatre Magazine, December, 2013.
- "ON STAGE: A NEW STREETCAR," Studio 360, a production of WNYC Radio. July 13, 2012 episode.
- "THE NORMAL HEART: THE STORY OF AIDS FOR A NEW GENERATION," Studio 360, a production of WNYC Radio, July 1, 2011 episode.
- "DUSTED OFF: 'THE WALL,' BY MARLEN HAUSHOFER," Paste Magazine online, February 2, 2009.
- "HARVEY MILK LIVES: ON SET WITH GUS VAN SANT," Film in Focus, April 1, 2008.
- "UNTOLD STORIES, ABANDONED FILMS," New York Times, December 3, 2006.
- "GARBAGE ART IN SAN FRANCISCO," Paste Magazine, August 23, 2005.
- "JONESTOWN DRAMA YIELDS NO EASY ANSWERS," Christian Science Monitor, April 29, 2005.
- "REVIEW OF 'PEOPLES TEMPLE AND BLACK RELIGION IN AMERICA,'" The North Star, Spring 2004.
- "THE TRAVEL DILEMMA: SLUM TOURISM," ManAboutWorld, March 2015 issue. (Link is to a short summary of the article. Subscription required to see full article on tablet-only publication.)
- "OUT ON TOUR: PRIDE OF THE OCEAN," ManAboutWorld, August 2014 issue. (Subscription required to see article on tablet-only publication.)
- "THE CHECKOUT: OASIS SENS HOTEL IN CANCÚN, MEXICO," ManAboutWorld, February 24, 2014
- "AN INTRODUCTION TO GAY MEXICO CITY," OutTraveler, August 2012.
- "BIKING IS EASIER IN THE BIG EASY," Gadling travel blog, January 21, 2011.